People who are emigrating to the US are susceptible to several types of scams. These scams may cost money and the opportunity to immigrate legally or ultimately lead to deportation.
Information to avoid the most common immigration scams include:
- The US government never make phone calls to ask questions, request additional information, or to confirm any data related to a current immigrant visa application or Green Card. Any type of call like this is a scam.
- Phone calls asking for payments of immigration fees are fraudulent. USCIS does not accept Western Union or Pay Pal payments, and never asks for fees to be paid on the phone or by email.
- The US government never sends out emails announcing Visa Lottery winners. The instructions for entering the visa lottery and verifying winners are always available online. Any email announcing winners is a scam.
- Do not pay for immigration forms. All forms made available by the US government are free.
- Always seek advice on US government websites. Make sure the website address ends with “.gov.”
- Do not pay a “notary public” for legal services. They are not lawyers and they cannot help you with immigration procedures or give you legal advice. Only the US government can designate accredited representatives.
- Fraudsters often offer US jobs and work visas to immigrants. Even if the job offer is legitimate, foreigners are not allowed to work in the US without permanent resident status or a work permit.
The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has issued a warning to avoid immigration scams: https://www.uscis.gov/avoid-scams/common-scams
If you have plans to internationalize your investments, develop business, and begin your expatriation process, it is important to have a team of lawyers with proven experience, acting in several jurisdictions and accredited by their respective governments. Our highly specialized professionals possess the technical skills required to evaluate the best alternatives and meet your needs and expectations.
To know which immigration option best suits your profile and that of your family, in addition to knowing more about the many possible alternatives for your projects to develop successfully, talk to one of our expert attorneys. Schedule a consultation with HAYMAN-WOODWARD PLLC now.
Our attorneys will assist you in all the details of your expatriation, at all stages, including business development in the United States. For our law firm, each case is unique and is treated as such, with personalized and individualized solutions.
HAYMAN-WOODWARD PLLC is a Washington (D.C) based law firm, specializing in immigration and federal tax laws. All legal services are provided by duly-licensed attorneys in each jurisdiction.