How to Obtain U.S. Citizenship

- Apr/2019

At some point, many non-US citizens who live in or plan to permanently stay in the United States consider the possibility of applying for US citizenship. With citizenship, it is possible to enter and leave the country when you want without worry. Citizenship also grants the right to vote, among other advantages and obligations. The acquisition of citizenship is, in general, an important achievement for those with strong ties to the United States.

There are only two ways to achieve American citizenship. By birth in American territory or birth to American parents, even if the person was born in another country outside the United States, or through naturalization.

To apply for naturalization, you must have a Green Card (permanent resident), be over 18 years of age, have advanced knowledge of English (written and verbal), have knowledge of US history, have no criminal record, and demonstrate good moral conduct.

You can also apply for naturalization if you are married to an American citizen for at least three years and have not been in the United States for more than six months, have been in the military for at least one year, or have been married to an American citizen who died serving to the country, regardless of the duration of the marriage.

Even with a Green Card, it is necessary to prove at least five years of physical presence in American territory and have not left the country for more than six months.

To begin the naturalization process, you must complete the N-400 form, pay a $640 fee plus $85 biometric data collection, and forward all necessary documents to U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

If you have plans to internationalize your investments, develop business, and begin your expatriation process, it is important to have a team of lawyers with proven experience, acting in several jurisdictions and accredited by their respective governments. Our highly specialized professionals possess the technical skills required to evaluate the best alternatives and meet your needs and expectations.

To know which immigration option best suits your profile and that of your family, in addition to knowing more about the many possible alternatives for your projects to develop successfully, talk to one of our expert attorneys. Schedule a consultation with HAYMAN-WOODWARD PLLC now.

Our attorneys will assist you in all the details of your expatriation, at all stages, including business development in the United States. For our law firm, each case is unique and is treated as such, with personalized and individualized solutions.

HAYMAN-WOODWARD PLLC is a Washington (D.C) based law firm, specializing in immigration and federal tax laws. All legal services are provided by duly-licensed attorneys in each jurisdiction.

More News

E-Verify® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security