Maintaining Your Immigrant Status

- Jan/2019

Permanent residents are issued a valid Permanent Resident Card, also known as: “Green Card.” This document can be valid for 10 years (or 2 years if you are a conditional permanent resident), and you must renew it before it expires or if your name changes.

Permanent residents may travel outside the United States, and temporary or brief travel usually does not affect your permanent resident status. However, if you leave the country for too long or indicate in another way that you do not intend to make the United States your permanent home, the U.S. government may determine that you have abandoned your permanent resident status.

If you think you will be out of the United States for more than 12 months, you should apply for a re-entry permit before leaving the country. A re-entry permit is valid for up to two years. At a port of entry, you may show the re-entry permit instead of a visa or Permanent Resident Card.

You should also be aware that—regardless of whether you might have abandoned your permanent resident status—you are subject to a full immigration inspection as an applicant for admission any time you have been abroad or in any other situations specified by immigration regulations.

As a permanent resident, you must also file income tax returns and report your income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) as well as to your state, city, or local tax department, if required. If you do not file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any length of time, or if you say that you are a non-immigrant on your tax returns, the U.S. government may decide that you have given up your permanent resident status.

If you have plans to internationalize your investments, develop business, and begin your expatriation process, it is important to have a team of lawyers with proven experience, acting in several jurisdictions and accredited by their respective governments. Our highly specialized professionals possess the technical skills required to evaluate the best alternatives and meet your needs and expectations.

To know which immigration option best suits your profile and that of your family, in addition to knowing more about the many possible alternatives for your projects to develop successfully, talk to one of our expert attorneys. Schedule a consultation with HAYMAN-WOODWARD PLLC now.

Our attorneys will assist you in all the details of your expatriation, at all stages, including business development in the United States. For our law firm, each case is unique and is treated as such, with personalized and individualized solutions.

HAYMAN-WOODWARD PLLC is a Washington (D.C) based law firm, specializing in immigration and federal tax laws. All legal services are provided by duly-licensed attorneys in each jurisdiction.

More News

E-Verify® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security